Friday, June 17, 2011

Memoir - The life of a young man

Today was one of those days that will make you wonder, ask questions, re-evaluate your plans and hopes made some years back.

Little wonder did I know that aside my plans to work late through the night and make it to the office at about 7am today that the rains had its different schedule. Loud thunder storms and heavy showers vibrated the roofs, shook the windows and force me out of bed at about 5am as against 5:15am that was the wake up time.

Wetin man go do? It was just 15minutes earlier so I had to hit the bathroom; but this rain seemed to continue. Na wa ooo! I pondered. I got a meeting at 10am, I have other deadlines to meet before then. Gush! Let me fast forward to 8am, hmmmmm, still in the house, 30minutes to resumption time, 1hour wasted of my plans for the day. At 8:15am I just made up my mind to hit the road. I just hate umbrellas, using them fine, but carrying them after the rains NO NO NO. So I made the way out of the building. Like say I get motor; for where, my legs have to lead to the junction through a 5minutes walk.

This story gets bigger because as I set out of the gate OH MY GOD, the whole street was flooded! Quickly I reached out for my phone called my bike guy... the number you are calling is switched off. How am I gonna pull my shoes, fold my trousers and swim across this river, this was just not planned. It was today I confirmed that I had more than just one spirit controlling me; they all made their contributions towards decision making. Swim across with your shoes they'll dry up later; Is it not just to pull off your shoes and socks and get it back afterward; guy just go back in the house and call in sick, by the way today is friday. I finally swam through with my shoes and socks in my hands and trousers folded to my knees.

God! This rain is increasing oooooo. Well starched and ironed shirt was now soaked, my nice little afro hair cut complimented by my MD/CEO wet and curly the more, I could taste hair cream in my mouth, water was just dripping. Oh! MY CAR MY CAR MY CAR.

W little fast forward again. In the BRT (Bus Rapid Transport; a supposed orgainzed luxury bus for snappy and upwardly mobile transportation;  presume ooo) wow I wasn't that soaked after all compare to the others in the bus. In 40 minutes I was at my bus stop. The road flooded again but I had to flexibly find my way through. Bikes popularly known as okada just dey do shakara. A distance for 50 naira bike men just dey open mouth dey tell me 200 naira; rain go hammer me on top again o. After all that was my usual morning exercise because it is just an 8 minute walk to my office. Pay 200 naira? How?

My exercise continued jor. Right in the office now. Ready to sign the attendance and I started; number 6, time is 9:47am. Gush, out of about 50 employees I was still number 6, my earlier arrival to work wasn't defeated after all.

MY CAR MY CAR MY CAR!

Tell your own story. *****Winks*****

No comments:

Post a Comment